It’s been a long time since I’ve posted, but I just finished a blouse that I am very excited about. I think it turned out well despite some not-quite-matched up plaid.
I had two pieces of this brown cotton flannel in my stash for a while, and since it has just started to get cold again here, I thought I’d see if I couldn’t use the two awkwardly sized pieces for a long sleeve blouse. I used the top half of Butterick 8848 (circa 1940’s, I’m guessing) and adapted it to have a waistband instead of attaching to a skirt. I’m a big fan of using dress patterns with interesting details to make blouses, either by extending the pattern out again for the hips, or having it end at the natural waist.
I used a who-knows-what-blend batiste type fabric for facings, cuffs, and waistband. I had some matching rayon bias tape, which I used for the pockets, and vintage buttons I had picked up a few days ago.
Things I changed: patch pockets are added, waistband drafted and added, and I also added plackets at the wrist made from the pattern suggested facing in a contrast fabric on the outside.
I think it achieves a classic 40’s ‘sportswear’ and could be smart worn with some taupe high waisted trousers.
Hooray, new shirt!