Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Simplicity’ Category

Still not sure how flattering rolls are with my thick hair, but this will have to do for now. I think I’ve finally gotten over my vintage fashion-rebellion and am going back to what I’ve been sewing before. I’m slowly getting over my fear of color as well, but so far have been sticking to dark background prints, red, and black.

I finally this blouse a week or so ago and only had a chance to write about it now. Shown here with Wearing History shorts, I think it’s very versatile and should hopefully work long past Summer and straight into Fall.

+ + +

Pattern used:

Simplicity 1554. I made View C, with the peter pan collar.

+ + +

More information and a pattern review can be found on my blog.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

The weather’s getting colder, so I made some slippers to keep my feet warm on winter mornings.

I used Simplicity 2778 from 1958 – a pattern for a bed jacket and slippers. (Maybe one day I’ll try the bed jacket as well, although I must admit I bought this pattern because of the slippers.)

The pattern came together nicely, and the slippers fit well. There are more details over on my blog.

Read Full Post »

Front view.

+ + +

Side view.

+ + +

Pattern used:

I recently finished this blouse in swiss dot. More information can be found on my blog.

Read Full Post »

Front view #1.

+ + +

Front view #2.

+ + +

Pattern used:

+ + +

I recently finished this sundress from some polka-dot rayon. Construction details can be found on my blog.

Read Full Post »

The Facts:

Fabric: Cotton shirting bought over four years ago that I found while cleaning out my closet, about $4/yard
Pattern: Simplicity 1554
Year: 1945
Notions: black plastic buttons, $1
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: Hasn’t been worn yet!
Wear again? Yes!
Total price: $5?

Pattern used:

I found this already-cut plaid cotton shirting wadded up in a ball at the back of my closet. The blouse is very comfortable and came together pretty quickly (from cutting to stitching) in about an afternoon.

More construction details can be found on my blog.

Read Full Post »

Even though I’m not a ‘shorts’ girl, with the onset of summer I figured it would be a good time to try making a pair (coz lets face it – going camping in a 1950’s style dress just isn’t nearly as practical as I’d like it to be).

These were made using Simplicity 6946 from 1975. The pattern promised to be able to make a pair of shorts using only 1 metre or less of fabric, and I had a bit of scrap red cotton drill that was the perfect amount. Clearly, the fabric and the pattern were destined to be together.

I made up version 1, the “hip hugger” version, designed to sit 1.5″ below the natural waistline.

The pattern was very quick and easy to put together, and I’m contemplating trying it again sometime very soon….

There are some more details over on my blog.

Read Full Post »

I recently finished this late 50s/early 60s dress for a work event using Simplicity 4774.

Pattern used:

More information can be found on my blog.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »