Front view.

+ + +

Side view.

+ + +

Pattern used:

I recently finished this blouse in swiss dot. More information can be found on my blog.


McCall’s 4994, circa 1959

Front view.

+ + +

Pattern used.

+ + +

I recently finished this dress using McCall’s 4994 from 1959. More information can be found on my blog.

Front view #1.

+ + +

Front view #2.

+ + +

Pattern used:

+ + +

I recently finished this sundress from some polka-dot rayon. Construction details can be found on my blog.

The Facts:

Fabric: Cotton shirting bought over four years ago that I found while cleaning out my closet, about $4/yard
Pattern: Simplicity 1554
Year: 1945
Notions: black plastic buttons, $1
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: Hasn’t been worn yet!
Wear again? Yes!
Total price: $5?

Pattern used:

I found this already-cut plaid cotton shirting wadded up in a ball at the back of my closet. The blouse is very comfortable and came together pretty quickly (from cutting to stitching) in about an afternoon.

More construction details can be found on my blog.

Butterick 6081

Hello fellow vintage sewists! I need a favor!! I pulled out Butterick 6081 today to start a muslin, and  I’m missing the back bodice piece! Wouldn’t usually be a big deal, but the shawl collar sort of wraps around from the front and attaches with darts, and is much more complicated than just substituting a back from another pattern (as I found out from fussing with it all afternoon). I’m thinking if I could just see how the neckline is drafted, I can recreate it myself. Anyone have this pattern tucked away in their collection, and who wouldn’t mind snapping a quick photo for me?!

Thanks ever so much!!

Even though I’m not a ‘shorts’ girl, with the onset of summer I figured it would be a good time to try making a pair (coz lets face it – going camping in a 1950’s style dress just isn’t nearly as practical as I’d like it to be).

These were made using Simplicity 6946 from 1975. The pattern promised to be able to make a pair of shorts using only 1 metre or less of fabric, and I had a bit of scrap red cotton drill that was the perfect amount. Clearly, the fabric and the pattern were destined to be together.

I made up version 1, the “hip hugger” version, designed to sit 1.5″ below the natural waistline.

The pattern was very quick and easy to put together, and I’m contemplating trying it again sometime very soon….

There are some more details over on my blog.

MORE EvaDress Trousers

I suppose it goes without saying that I LOVE this pattern?! It’s December in Iowa and the weather is cold and gloomy, on its way to getting even colder and gloomier, and I could list the myriad of reasons skirts simply aren’t fun this time of year but I’ll just leave it at: pants are my go-to wardrobe staple when the temps dip, and I just can’t seem to bring myself to change that. So now that I’ve gotten over the fact that I’m simply not going to wear tights, I’m sewing up cute vintage trousers instead.

These are a mid-weight dark denim, and I’ve been wearing them weekly! They wash and wear just like jeans. Although unfortunately they also shrink like jeans as well: the first time I washed them I had to let out the hem a whole 1-1/2″!

The first pair of these I inserted a zipper, but decided to try buttons on this round. They turned out great! Although they kind of like to come part way unbuttoned as I wear them.

The pattern doesn’t call for it, but I added a lap to support the buttons.

I finished this pair just in time for the Husband’s office party last night.

I used a red poly gabardine and they drape so nicely. Hope they end up being as easy to care for as the denim ones.

Used some contrasting buttons and changed the direction of the buttonholes, so hopefully they won’t try to undress me as I’m wearing them like the others.

I have more of this gabardine in black and a sort of dark purpley-navish color, and originally thought I’d turn them out assembly line style, but have gotten kind of bored, lol! Will have to sew up some fun & quick projects before I get back to them.